Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bing Shows Steady After Initial Surge


Update July 11, 2009 Auditioning Bing



Bing achieves steady share of search market after initial surge.



First, let me say that I started using Bing as my home page search engine in early June. Initially I did this to test, evaluate, and contrast Bing and Google. After a few days of testing I posted my observations and initial impressions on this site (see previous posts here.) The conclusion of my evaluation? I was happy enough with Bing to leave it as my home page search engine. And I continued using Bing as my main search tool up to the present.



Bing’s search performance seems comparable to Google. Such is my experience to date. I am happy with Bing because of a few simple user-interface-experience features. Bing simply has a nicer look and feel than Google. In short, I found that I had no reason to switch back to Google, and didn’t.


How is Bing doing in the market? After an initial surge to a 16% share of daily searches, Bing settled down to a 10% share through June. On July 8,9 Bing usage surged again to pass Yahoo Search and capture a 12.9% share. These statistics come from StatCounter GlobalStats. Analysis posted on TechCrunch suggests that Bing's latest bump-up in search traffic was largely captured from Google. Interesting.



The outlook? It seems that Google is going to be solidly in first place at ~ 75% search traffic share for the foreseeable future.



This picture might change if Google users continue to switch to Bing at a sustained rate. Should trend spotters see Bing’s market share continuing to grow at Google’s expense over the coming 6 months, Google would have a big problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment