Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Wildwood Flower on the Classic Dulcimer

Wildwood Flower a Traditional American Song Written in 1860, one year before the start of the Civil War. Original title was "I'll Twine 'Mid the Ringlets". The song was written in 1860, with words by Maud Irving and music by Joseph Philbrick Webster (1819–1875).


 

Wildwood Flower  Original 1860 Lyrics

Oh I Will twine mid the ringlets of my raven black hair
The lilies so pale and the roses so fair
The mytle so bright with an emerald hue and the pale 
arnatus with eyes of bright blue. 

I'll dance and I'll sing and my laugh shall be gay* 
I'll cease this wild weeping, drive sorrow away. 
Though my heart is now breaking, he never shall know 
That his name made me tremble and my pale cheeks to glow. 

I'll think of him, I'll be wildly gay 
I'll charm every heart, and the crowd I will sway. 
I'll live yet to see him regret the dark hour 
When he won then neglected the frail wildwood flower.

He told he loved me and promised to love 
Through ill and misfortune all others above. 
Another has won him, ah misery to tell 
He left me in silence no word of farewell.
 He taught me to love him, he called me his flower 
That blossomed for him all the brighter each hour 
But I woke from my dreaming, my idol was clay 
My visions of love have all faded away.

*There may be a mistake in the first line of the second stanza.

The "folk song process" allows lyrics to evolve.
After 100 years we have the classic Wildwood Flower
performed by the Carter Family in the mid-20th century.









Ref.s  
Early Music Radio UK, Wikipedia, Traditional Folk Music Tune Book. 
Videos from YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment